I know that there are some module creators out there, but an other one doesn't hurt.
You can find the "Ultimate ModuleCreator" on github. https://github.com/tzyganu/moduleCreator
It is also available on the Magento connect:
The module creator was built on Magento CE 1.7. It works on Magento CE 1.7.
The extensions you create with it work on Magento CE 1.7. They will probably work on equivalent PE and EE, but I didn't test.
After you install the module creator you will find it under the System menu.
DO NOT USE THE EXTENSIONS YOU CREATE WITH IT ON LIVE ENVIRONMENTS. Test them first.
Keep in mind that the module creator cannot do everything for you. But at least you will not need to create the skeleton for managing (back-end), listing and view-ing your entity (frontend). The frontend files might need some styling after you create them, but at least you will have all the info you need.
Here is a small list of what it can do:
Version 184.108.40.206 was released on June 4th 2013:
- Bug fixes:
- module does not create records in the namespace_module_store table when 'add seo attributes' is set to 'No'
- Bug fixes:
- upladed images & files lost when saving a tree entity twice.
- widget chooser broken for tree entities
- translations missing.
- added subtree widget for tree entities.
- Bug fixes:
- `lookupStoreIds () on a non-object` error on Tree entities.
- Store selection tab not generated (Thanks IonTrust)
- errors in some function documentations
- DDL install scripts for generated entity (Can be enabled/disabled from system->configuration)
- enable entities by store view (similar to CMS pages)
- meta title for admin pages
- moved meta information fields to separate tab.
- completed the help tab
- Fixed Generated translation file
- Uppercase letter in entity codes is now restricted
- Generate API (v1 & v2) files.
- WSI compliance for API
- Entity Model.
- siblings not listed in the order set in admin.
- entity models are missing event prefixes and event objects
- Added 'country' field
- Added log creation for each module with the files that are created.
- Clean up for image attribute renderers (frontend and backend).
- added Mage::logException for admin exceptions
- Refactor image helper (thanks carco).
- Related entities not remembered on grid select
- URL rewrites Router not generated correctly
- Admin layout for related entities
- Added admin search support
- Renamed source folders. Made them shorter to avoid windows unzip issue. (Hopefully this will fix it.)
- Text corrections
- Added url rewrites functionality for created entities
- Removed all 'Mysql4' class names and file names. Replaced with appropriate class. (Magento 1.7 "style")
- Not remembering related entity products on page/sort order change
- validate missing: name_singular, name_plural
- Text, Integer Decimal attributes allowed to act as name.
- modman, modgit
- Fixed tree behaving entities widget chooser
- Added 'tree - behaving' entities
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed: 2 entities with same name admin issue.
- Fixed: mass action issue
- Fixed: related entities not always saving in admin
- Fixed: frontend related entities listing gives error.
- you cannot add many to many relations between tree entities.
- Added entity relations (one to many and many to many)
- Added possibility for direct install
- Added expand/collapse for all fieldsets for easier access.
- Entities can be linked "many to many" with products. Entities can be listed on product pages. Products can be listed on entity pages.
- Refactored admin controller for generated entities.
- It allows you to create only flat entities. EAV entities are not supported (yet).
- You can create one or more entities under the same module.
- You can decide to create only the files needed for the back-end to work for your entities or both front-end and back-end files. (list/view entity)
- You can add as many fields as you like for each entity. If you ever used a phpMyAdmin then you are qualified to use this extension.
- Support for different types of fields: Text, textarea, datetime, yes/no, int, decimal, file, image, website
- It creates widgets of your entities to use in CMS pages.
- It creates an RSS feed page for you entities (if you decide to create the frontend files.)
- The frontend pages support breadcrumbs, that you can deactivate later.
- Il allows you to decide what fields will be shown in the admin grid.
- WYSIWYG support for textarea fields.
- Resize support for image fields (just like the product has.)
- Generates language csv file. All you need to do is translate it to your language.